A piece of Tavern returns to Unionville! Lowell Keairns is the grandson of Arthur and Hulda Fritz who owned the Tavern from 1925-1946. Lowell explains to the crowd gathered that this arrow used to be in the garden at the Tavern and was used during the times of the Underground Railroad. The story goes that when the arrow pointed North, it was safe for runaway slaves to enter the Tavern. Slaves could enter the Tavern through underground tunnels that began under a false headstone in the Alexander Harper Cemetery, under what is now Route 84 and into the basement of the Tavern. We are so grateful Lowell for his donation to the Unioville Tavern Preservation Society. We will loan the arrow to the Madison Historical Society to be put on display for the community.